Thursday 10 January 2013

Life drawing in college


Life drawing
(d. Yet to add lesson one and picture of point and line drawing)
Adding shading (Lesson 2)
This is my drawing of our nude life model, Wendy. We've done this before but we weren't allowed to add tone it was simply point and line which I find hard to do because it means staying away from shading. I like this image- It's not the best one I've ever done in my life but It's accurate, measured and quite detailed. I didn't have time to finish which is why she has no face, hands or feet but I'm happy with how it has turned out. The head shape was difficult to do because of the hair, angle and lighting but It looks good considering it's a bit misshapen. I think I've done quite well..













 Adding Conte crayon- Lesson 3
This is my first attempt at using conte crayon to my life drawing, I have continued using the same technique of measuring and creating a sight size drawing; but instead only using conte crayon. I did all the necessary construction lines and correct measuring but I still managed to go wrong when it got to the lower leg and foot which I struggled quite considerably with as the conte crayon isn't a very accurate tool to draw with. I did a faint outline of the body first, eventually adding darker lines until I had a full body shape, then I added some shading with the black conte crayon I did this very faintly because there was a lot of light hitting wendy from where I was sitting. I enjoyed using the crayon, even though it was inaccurate it was easier to erase, darker lines look more effective and it runs smoother across the page. Smaller detail was harder to do which is why I struggled with the feet and small ripples in the body which was quite annoying, I think I could have done better with this piece if I had more time but I'm happy with the way it looks even though some parts are disproportionate. Also, I enjoyed adding the white conte crayon it makes the image look more effective, makes the light more prominent on the body and accents wendy's curves on her shoulders, legs and breasts which ultimately adds to the 3d effect that I was after. I haven't added facial features or hair because the conte crayon was too hard to add any real detail with- but I think the fact there are none of them features gives this image abit more character although I would like to have finished it but overall I like this image.


Willow Chalk (Lesson 4)
I really like this image, in this piece I used black willow chalk which was really hard to use because it is so brittle, it crumbles easily and it's extremely inaccurate. I measured her as always, put in the correct lines(which were really easy to erase) andrew the faint outline of the body before adding shading. I didn't like using willow chalk, it was too fiddly and inaccurate, had to be constantly sharpened if I wanted pefect lines and was too easy to rub off the page. On the other hand, even though a lot of effort went into this, it has paid off because everything is measured correctly and looks proportioned properly. (Well I think so anyway) I've added more definedark lines in certain places to make up for the fact that I wasn't really able to add proper tonal detail because the chalk kept rubbing away as I went on... But I think that it has reflected the tones that I saw on her body very well and I wouldefinitely use willow chalk again for that reason. I like the result that the chalk has left me with and I'm happy to leave it as it is. 

No comments:

Post a Comment